Saturday, February 8, 2014

My world

It's not often that I get to use my theatrical lighting knowledge in my role as an art teacher. There are days when I miss the stage and the world of theatre and I wonder if I made the right choice.

And then I get to play in the theatre, work on sets and lights and help out with a show and leave with the certainty that OH YES, I MADE THE RIGHT DECISION!
I love helping, but man I love getting to leave. :)

So what brings this up?

Well, our auditorium at the high school is getting new lights. YIPPEE! We desperately needed an upgrade and I've been helping out with the programming of the light board.

We are moving from an analog system and old instruments that would throw the breakers if used at full capacity to cutting edge technology. We have had a huge learning curve. And not just us, the electricians weren't sure what to do either.

I have spent a lot of time this week figuring out how to program the board to use the instruments and working out the logistics of the light plot. It's been a ton of fun.

But hard. and because I'm the art teacher and not the theatre teacher, a lot of hours after school and on the weekend as I was expected to be able to do my real job!

But that's okay, because the theatre teacher is one of my best friends and if I needed help in my world and she had the expertise, she'd do it for me.

But also, because it reinforces in my heart and mind that I am exactly where I am supposed to be. Moving from the known theatre world to the art world was hard for me. And some days I really feel like the biggest impostor around. But then I get back in my classroom and I know that I am where I am supposed to be. 

Especially when it is 9pm on Saturday night!

Teaching theatre was fun and super hard. When I came in tonight, Doug and I reminisced about the days I taught theatre (and debate) and was gone 3 or 4 nights a week and many Saturdays. Those were really tough times. As he said, no way we could do that now.

And it's not just the schedule, I've found my true calling in art.

I love me some theatre and the technical design aspects of it are a blast, but thankfully, and happily I'll live in my art world and go over and play in my friend's backyard and then go home at the end of the day tired and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment