Saturday, November 16, 2013

Remembering Lindsey: in Linoleum Print

Some people make a permanent mark on your heart.
Lindsey was one of those.

Recently I was looking at some photos of her and I just felt the need to 
create a linoleum print of her hands creating art.

Here is one of the prints from the first series.

I like the dark ink on the light paper. I also like that it's a little heavy in places.  It's not a "perfect" piece and Lindsey would have never been able to create a "perfect" piece by traditional art standards.

But I wasn't in love with it.

So I went back to work and after a few hundred (at least it felt like it..)

Here is one that I absolutely love!!

In person, it's much lighter and softer, but it doesn't show up on the screen well so I had to darken it. The paper is really white and the colors are soft.

I am so happy with the final product. In the end, this was a piece that I created for myself with only my memories and emotions as a guide. Artistically there are changes I would make, but since I'm not selling it and not grading it, I consider it to be finished!

And as a side note, if any of you out there miss Lindsey and would like an artist proof of the above print, I have a dozen or so that I don't have any need for, but I don't want to throw them away! 

An artist proof means that it's a print from the working linoleum block. No two are alike as I would print one and then cut a little more away and so forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment