Sunday, July 21, 2013

97 years + joy= makes a well lived life.

My Grandmother passed away Friday night.
She was 97 years old. 

My Grandmother, Lynn was truly a remarkable woman. She lived and loved wholeheartedly. I can't remember a time when she didn't smile or laugh or love others. Even in the midst of sorrow and trials, she was one who would find and show joy.

It was absolutely time for Grandmother to go. But it doesn't make it easy. The last two years of her life have been very difficult. Two weeks ago she had a stroke and even though her limbs were constricted so much that she was almost in a fetal position, she still was talking and "happy." Truly, she was amazing. While she lay in that bed in pain, she smiled. A nurse came in and asked her how she was doing and she said okay. The nurse said "really?" And Grandmother's response was so typical of her... "No, but I can pretend that I'm okay." I don't want you to think that Grandmother was fake.. she wasn't! But she could find joy in any circumstance and did.

This last week I have spent a lot of time looking at pictures trying to figure out which 40 pictures would sum up her life. That was not easy, but it was a gift. As I have waded through pictures, I have had to privilege of looking into my Grandmother's face and seeing her love and her joy year after year.

So tonight, while most of these pictures didn't make the 40 cut as they are of mostly of my kids... I am going to leave you with a piece of her legacy.















And so we say goodbye.
Or as you always said.. 
"We'll see ya when we see ya!" 



No comments:

Post a Comment