Sunday, June 2, 2013

Expectations vs Allowance

With summer upon us the wants and the can we-s are already starting. I'm going to have to come up with a good allowance system. We don't do allowance in our house. Cause that would require consistency. And I haven't had any room on my plate for anything else that required time and attention and a consistent plan. But this is the year I do believe.

Why? Because you can't take away what you don't give. That's why. The girls know that unloading the dishwasher is there job, but other than getting a scowl or having to load it later in the week, there isn't a tangible punishment if they don't do their jobs. I've tried just letting the dishes sit on the counter, telling them that I can't do my job of loading because they haven't done their job... but they don't care. I care. So I'm going to have to find a way to make them care. And money is the only thing that talks in my house.

I have to say, it really bugs me to give an allowance to the girls for them helping to maintain the house. So, I'm giving myself one to! And why not? I'll clean with a better attitude if I know that I'm going to pay myself!

All that to say.. I have to figure out what I'm willing to pay for and what is just an expectation for living in the house. For example, keeping your room clean is an expectation. You don't get paid for your room, your personal hygiene or your grades. Not in my house. But, I'll give an allowance for things that help me... like dishes and laundry and things like that. Why the distinction? I don't know. It's my world and I get to make the rules.

So, the allowance thing is starting today. With all 3 girls in the hole. They wanted new swimsuits and since they had perfectly fine new swimsuits already, they are all now in the hole for $15 each. Not a bad way to start...

No comments:

Post a Comment