Saturday, November 24, 2012

2nd place finish!

I ran my second 5k today as a "runner."
I even got a medal!
And not one of those, everyone gets a medals kinda medal!!
 


There were 15 timed finishers in my age group and I finished 2nd!!

There were 123 timed finishers in the race and my overall finish place was 26. 

My time for the 5k was 29:09.7 which put me at a 9:24 pace per mile.

The only other 5k time I have was from October when I ran it in 29:40. I was hoping to be faster today and my crazy goal that I didn't think I had any hope of making was 29 minutes. Man, if I had had any idea that I was that close, I would have run just a little faster! But beating my previous time by 30 seconds isn't bad.. I'll take that personal record improvement anytime!

Getting a medal today was a milestone in my life that I would have truly never believed possible. I have never been the athletic one. I've never won anything physical. In fact, I've never been even remotely good at anything sporty. So to be a decent runner now at 38 is truly a gift. So exciting at this point in my life. I'm not delusional, I know I'm not fast. Nor do I have any hope to be fast, but given the fact that in May of this year I couldn't do a quarter of a mile and here I am with a respectable time, I am very proud of myself.

Even better, the fact that my husband is running now too! Yes, we have become those crazy people! Here we are before and after the race. Doug finished a full minute faster than his last race too!



Aren't we cute :)  We are currently in training for the Cowtown races. Doug is going to do the 10k and I'm doing the half marathon. NUTS.

1 comment:

  1. You are KILLING me!! I'm running the 10K at Cowtown and will be really slow

    ReplyDelete