Thursday, March 29, 2012

Kid-Sized and Budget Friendly Jello

This may be a total no-brainer for you, but given that our house is new to Jello, I thought I'd tell you my new trick :)

So why is Jello new to us? Well, all of the prepackaged jello's have red dye #40 in them. And up until I found this box of berry blue, every other box had it too. And since Maddie's allergic to red 40, jello was off limits in our house.

Until Kylie had her tonsils out. She had jello at the hospital and loved it.  So we bought the prepackaged stuff and Maddie steered clear of the jello and the sticky fingers.

Then I found berry blue at HEB and were thrilled! And to be honest, I was glad to find the large box because the prepackaged stuff is super expensive! I can't believe how much they charge for basically tinted water!

HEB (our grocery store) had 4 boxes. I bought them all.

So as I was getting ready to make the jello, I knew that I didn't want a large vat of jello that would end up being only half eaten, that would be contaminated by little fingers and sick flu germs. So I went with single serve jellos. 

We have tons of the the 3oz plastic cups and they were the PERFECT portion sizes!


You can see the cups of jello in the fridge. Notice that I tried to use our silicone ice molds. That was a total bust. But hey, you win some and you lose some.


And here are my sweet sick girls. Little Berry Blue Jello cups make the flu seem not so bad.

Hey, next time you go down the baking aisle at your store, see if you can find us some new flavors of jello. No RED DYE #40 please.

No comments:

Post a Comment