Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Beaded Utensils and VBS


A year or so ago I found a blog about an adopting mom selling beaded utensils to make money to help pay for the adoption.  I bought a couple. (Those picutured above are NOT hers... hers are MUCH better..) I'd post where to go buy some, but she's not selling them anymore.  However, if you would like to puchase a beaded utensil, give me a couple of months, but my girls and I are going to make some and send them to Orphan Wares, so you can help feed the African orphans and buy our pretties...) but I digress.

As I might have mentioned, I am heading up crafts for VBS.  I am determined that the kids will get to make something worthwhile and that we won't make trash crafts... you know, the kind you throw into the trash the moment you get home.

Yesterday, the kids watercolored a couple of papers and tomorrow they are going to weave them into placemats that I will laminate. Today we worked on the beaded utensil.  Let's just say that one session into the morning, I punted.  Remember, I teach high school art and my children at home are used to my craft instruction, so I didn't really think about a "typical" five year old and his ability, or lack of ability at putting beads on a wire...  So, some of the kids glued their beads to the spoon. We will make their glued spoon into a picture frame.

The biggest win of the morning?  Only 2 of the bead bowls were knocked over.  With two hundred kids using bowls with beads in them, I'd say that is a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment