Sunday, April 11, 2010

Same Kind of Different As Me

I just finished the most INCREDIBLE book! It's Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore.  It was amazing.  Life changing. Unbelievable. Moving. Inspirational. and more.

One might ask why I was so moved.  I don't know, I just was.  Maybe it's because I know the exact area they are talking about in the book.  Growing up in and around Fort Worth, Texas, I can see exactly where they are living.  It makes it almost personal.

I think another thing that got me about the book is the willingness or better put, obedience of this couple to go and serve the homeless.  That in doing so, their lives were changed.  Not the homeless people. The "good" people.  Yes, the homeless people where helped and some of their lives where changed, but the ones that went to serve were also impacted. They became true servants of God, the hands of God and by being willing to do that, they saw the face of God.

Can you imagine?  I have to stop and ask myself.  Do I really want to see the face of God?  Do I really want to know Him?  Because if I do, I know what to do. Serve others.  Be the hands of God to the "least of these."

So why don't I make time to serve others? Why am I not willing to serve in difficult situations? I don't know.  Well, I do know.  I'm selfish.

That's not an  easy reality to face and I can rationalize with the best of them.  I'm not saying that I don't serve at all, I just serve in the easy areas.  As long as I don't have to leave my comfort zone I don't mind serving and sacrificing.  Just don't ask me to feed the homeless. or go on a mission trip where I might not have indoor plumbing. or....

Facing this, I am ready to do something about it.  No, I'm not ready to go serve at the Union Gospel Mission.  not yet.  But I am ready to shake up my easy existence a bit.  I'm going to start small, so please don't get your hopes up.  But I am going to start.

'Cause I want to see the face of God more than I want an extra 30 minutes of sleep.  And if I push myself and truly examine my heart, I want to serve God more than I want to wear a size 8. So while I want to start working out in the mornings, I'm gonna start working out my Bible first.

So that's my book review.  Yeah, it was a good book.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, it is life-changing! Now, read the follow up, cause it is amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete