Sunday, April 25, 2010

Family Portraits in Bluebonnets

bluebon family If you are ever traveling down the highway or interstate in Texas during late March- early May, you might see the interesting phenomena of parents and children walking down the busy road looking for a treasure.

The treasure: Bluebonnets, our state flower.

And it’s not just bluebonnets these people are looking for.  Because they aren’t going to pick them. They are looking for wildflowers that have not been trampled by the hordes of families looking for that perfect spot for their yearly family picture!

I don’t know if other states have rituals like this, but in Texas, having your pictures taken in the bluebonnets yearly is a right of passage. 

There is just something about traipsing through the tall grass, looking at the beautiful flowers, and listening for the sound of a rattlesnake that just gets your blood flowing! ( I’m not kidding either).

bluebon kylie

Yep, knowing that snakes could be slithering around, we still put our children down into the grass.  I know.  We are crazy.  However, I can say that I looked very closely before we stepped into the grass.  And, we were at a friend’s ranch and they had only seen one rattler the weekend before… you know how we Texans are!

Okay, kidding aside. Can you blame me?  Take a look at more of these incredible pictures.

bluebon girls bluebon ky2 bluebon lexi bluebon mad

It’s crazy, this last picture isn’t the prettiest picture of me, but I love it.  I didn’t even know that I was in the picture.  We were just having fun :)bluebon me

Oh, and one more thing… Nope, I didn’t take the pictures.  One of my student’s took them.  She’s incredible!  As soon as she gets a blog or website I’ll pass on the information.  Until then, she’s still one of my students!

1 comment: