Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Technique Tuesday: Embossed Handprint Watercolors

I love handprints. All handprints, but especially of my children. I can’t believe how quickly time passes. Yesterday I saw a fun post at my friend Megan’s blog, and thought I’d give it a whirl, but with my kiddo’s handprints instead of an initial.

Here are the finished results:
This is a fun project that my kids age 4 and 9 were able to do almost entirely on their own!

To make this project you need..

  1. VersaMark inkpad
  2. Embossing powder. The first handprint we tried using Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel, but it was too think I think. See Maddie’s clear handprint. The embossed handprint doesn’t have enough texture with the UTEE. So next up we used silver and then just fine clear for Lexi’s second handprint. These powders worked much better and allowed for the lines in the hand to show even when the powder was set.
  3. Craft heater
  4. Watercolor paper
  5. Watercolors and paintbrushes.

To begin, have your child ink their hand (or do it for them) then smoosh the hand really well onto watercolor paper and completely cover with embossing powder. Use the craft heater to set the powder.

Now the kids can start painting. Personally, I think you get better results if you have the kids dampen the entire page with plain water and the brush first and then start with the colors. This allows for much more uniform blending. Once the pictures are complete, don’t forget to have them signed and dated. Finally, allow to completely dry and frame.
And there you have it! Another edition of Technique Tuesday…

No comments:

Post a Comment